Susan's expertise covers a broad range of domestic and international insolvency (both contentious and non-contentious), lender security reviews and enhancement, restructuring, turnaround and business support. She has particular experience of acting for financiers including top tier banks and international asset based lenders plus she regularly represents major firms of accountants and multi-national corporations.
Susan has worked on many well-known assignments including Printpack, La Seda de Barcelona/Appe, Silentnight, TEG plc, Klarius/Quinton Hazell, Magnus, Burdens, FirstCity, Prontaprint, Hickson & Welch/C6, David McLean and Gamble Rail. She has in-depth experience of all forms of insolvency from a variety of angles and advises clients on their options as creditors, debtors and office holders in any given situation.
Susan is a Fellow of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals, a member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association and a board member of the Turnaround Management Association Europe. She makes regular presentations on a variety of restructuring related topics, mostly recently at the Turnaround Management Association European conference talking about sales of distressed property and loan portfolios and the World Bank Infrastructure Conference talking about international restructuring.
Susan is ranked as a leading restructuring lawyer and a Band 1 professional in the Northwest and noted as an elite leading lawyer in The Legal 500 UK 2015 guide to outstanding lawyers nationwide.
Below are quotes from clients:
- Susan is noted as acting with “a rare combination of commercial acumen, legal expertise and common sense.” Clients say she will “tear the other side's argument to pieces while putting a clear and concise case forward for her client”
The Legal 500 UK 2015.
- “Susan, beyond her considerable smarts and sensitivities to the legal nuances involved in dealing with and amongst all parties in a transaction, proved to be a deft negotiator and a good project shepherd. Being based in the US, I, as General Counsel, also appreciated the numerous occasions on which she provided me advanced insights into the flow of the deal or legal obstacles she anticipated would bear down upon us. The deal was tough but nonetheless successfully concluded an outcome that we could not have achieved without her energy, humour and counsellor skills.”
General Counsel of a global manufacturing enterprise, 2014.
- Susan is well respected as “an exceptional business lawyer with an outstanding ability to handle the most complex, difficult and diverse range of matters”, “technically good, commercial and very robust”. She is described as a “leading individual”, and clients agree that she “provides a real partner led approach to client services”.
Susan and her team “handle a broad range of restructuring matters and are always very impressive – really brilliant”.
They are known for their “ability to effectively utilise the firm’s significant international footprint to provide clients with a seamless service on cross border matters”.
They are noted as providing “a very bespoke service with a strong desire to understand their clients”.
“If I was referring or recommending someone they would be my first choice”
Chambers UK 2014.
- Susan is described as “expert in creating simple, clear and effective strategies to deal with complex matters”
The Legal 500 UK 2014.
- “Susan tackles new and complex issues and is able to provide us with expedient commercial solutions” and “is praised for her straight forward approach to getting deals completed”
Chambers UK 2013.
- Susan is “very well respected by the banks” and lauded for her “strong focus on the detail”
Chambers UK 2012.
- Susan is described as “focused, efficient” and “results oriented”
The Legal 500 UK 2012.
- Susan is “particularly strong in pensions related matters”
The Legal 500 UK 2011.
- Susan is commended as “commercial, informed, succinct and direct”
The Legal 500 UK 2010.
- Susan has “a fantastic reputation among accountants and has the ability to pull in top people to give clients a well-rounded service”. Susan and her team boast “strong credentials and a real talent for handling pensions and asset backed lending work”
Chambers UK 2009.