Our Automotive team provides cross-disciplinary legal services to automotive businesses around the world, advising them in a variety of matters and transactions. Our team thoroughly understands the industry and has successfully represented a broad spectrum of clients, including OEMs/manufacturers, tier 1 and tier 2 component suppliers, retailer dealer groups, distributors, motor traders, fleet providers, logistics and financiers/finance companies.
A significant strategic development for the firm has been our recent combination with California-based automotive and industrials powerhouse Carroll, Burdick & McDonough. A complex litigation and products risk management firm with over 50 specialist litigators on three continents, Carroll Burdick now operates as an integrated part of Squire Patton Boggs, offering clients a robust level of service in a range of corporate, compliance and dispute-related disciplines, firmly rooted in the automotive and transportation industries.
Succeeding in the automotive sector requires results-oriented, global legal counsel in areas such as commercial transactions, trade regulations, product liability, environmental, labor and intellectual property law. We have one of the most respected automotive legal teams worldwide with a real understanding of our automotive clients’ needs. Our work is based on sound legal knowledge and vast experience, and our advice is straightforward and commercial.
We provide cross-disciplinary legal services to automotive businesses around the world, advising them in a variety of matters and transactions. Our practice is well known for handling automotive transactions, from multibillion-dollar cross-border M&A deals to joint ventures and expansion, as well as product liability litigation work representing a number of industry players and globally recognized engagements. We continue to play a key role in some of the most significant bankruptcy filings in the industry.
Our commitment to the sector is demonstrated by our membership of various trade associations, including the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), the Original Equipment Suppliers Association (OESA), the Engineering Employers Federation (EEF), the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA), the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA) and Automotive Industry Association of the Slovak Republic (ZAP SR).
We advise our clients on:
- Antitrust and competition
- Autonomous and connected driving technologies
- Branding and marketing
- Commercial contracting (purchase orders and sale agreements, supply agreements for components and spare parts)
- Compliance (anticorruption and bribery, domestic and international investigations, risk assessments, global codes of conduct and compliance programs)
- Corporate securities and governance
- Data privacy and cybersecurity
- Environmental, safety and health
- Financial services
- Import/export, customs duties and trade regulation
- International dispute resolution
- Intellectual property and technology
- Labor and employment (unions, reorganizations, redundancies, staff poaching and enforcement of restrictive covenants)
- Litigation (complex commercial, class actions, litigation coordination, arbitration, supply chain and consumer disputes)
- M&A (mergers, acquisitions, privatizations and joint ventures)
- Pensions and benefits
- Product liability and product safety (including recalls, preventive product liability and risk management)
- Public policy
- Real estate (cross-border expansion, plant relocation and construction)
- Regulatory (regulatory compliance, gaining approvals for transactions, and regulatory enforcement proceedings)
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Tax strategy and structuring
- Venture capital and private equity investments