Our International Dispute Resolution Group comprises lawyers focusing on dispute resolution, arbitration, litigation, advocacy, risk and crisis management, dispute prevention and mediation. As one of the few firms with a truly global outlook and service, we have received extensive recognition in this area.
With over five decades of active involvement in international transactions and disputes, we enjoy solid working relationships with established local counsel in most strategic markets of the world.
Our lawyers are sensitive to the cultural and business nuances of each country and region, expertly guiding you through the complexities of international arbitrations, whether under a common law or civil law regime.
Why Choose Us
Our team is listed in the Global Arbitration Review 2016 Top 100 of international arbitration practices.
By partnering with our colleagues with substantive industry expertise, our international arbitration practitioners bring you an in-depth understanding of sectors such as oil and gas, technology, pharmaceutical, franchising, infrastructure, construction, transportation, project finance, financial services and M&A.
To achieve successful outcomes in arbitration, it is essential to have prior experience with the numerous bodies involved. We have conducted arbitrations involving parties from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Australia, Europe and the Middle East, before all the leading arbitration institutions.
Success is not simply gauged by receiving an award. We also focus on ensuring that awards are enforced in the long term. Squire Patton Boggs is a leader in bilateral investment treaty arbitration, the most important frontier of international law. Amongst our high-profile cases are those involving banking and monetary regulation, oil and gas and gold mining.
We are also one of the very few firms that has invoked the new Emergency Arbitration Procedure under the ICC Rules since their recent introduction.
Public International Law and Investment Treaty and Claims
With a team that includes former US Ambassadors and senior government officials, we have a proven track record of representing sovereigns, sovereign-controlled entities and sovereign wealth funds. This has involved investor-state and state-to-state arbitrations and federal court litigation involving commercial, trade, public international law, Bilateral Investment Treaty and Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act issues.
Our attorneys successfully represent companies before international tribunals, such as ICSID, PCA, ICJ, ITLOS, the Iran-US Claims Tribunal and US Courts advancing expropriation, national treatment, most favored nation (MFN) treatment, and minimum standard of treatment claims against sovereign entities.
We help you to manage the risks of international and local disputes at every step of proceedings, striving to achieve the best result in every scenario. Our lawyers around the globe permanently handle the most complex civil law litigation, often working in several jurisdictions or languages. Examples include cartel damages, construction, intellectual property, product liability and unfair competition litigation, just to name a few. In cases of urgency we regularly assist our clients at short notice in emergency relief actions under appropriate local law.
Broad Dispute Resolution Services, Including Risk Management
We can help you to manage the risks of international disputes by undertaking risk audits, counseling on risk prevention, and assisting in structuring deals to take advantage of investment treaty (BIT, ICSID and ECT) protections and adopting carefully drafted dispute resolution clauses contracts. When a dispute arises, we work closely with our clients to undertake an early case assessment and implement a cost-effective dispute resolution strategy, which may include escalating alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
Increasingly, we find that international disputes are resolved through mediation. While this is not appropriate for all cases, we have dealt with many cases in which it has worked successfully.
A number of our lawyers are accredited mediators and, in the UK, we are publicly recognized by the Centre for Dispute Resolution (CEDR) and have won the CEDR Award for Professional Excellence in ADR three times running. No other law firm holds this accolade.
Ancillary Court Actions
We regularly represent clients in ancillary proceedings relating to international arbitrations, and can represent you in courts around the world. These cases often involve motions to compel arbitration or recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards. In addition, we have substantial experience with pre-arbitration attachment of assets and post-award execution. To ensure we maximize every opportunity to achieve a successful outcome for you, we partner with leading asset recovery investigation consultants.
- One of the top 100 international arbitration firms in the world by leading industry journal Global Arbitration Review (GAR), 2016.
- Listed in the 2014 Global Arbitration Review ('GAR') Top 100 of international arbitration firms and was nominated for “Large International Arbitration Practice that Impressed in the Past Year” in the field of international arbitration in 2014.
- Won three of the top 20 commercial arbitration awards in the world from 2001 to 2013, as ranked by The American Lawyer Arbitration Scorecard:
- Atlantic LNG Company of Trinidad and Tobago v. Gas Natural Aprovisionamientos SDG, S.A., UNCITRAL Arbitration, Award dated 27 March 2008 – serving as counsel for Gas Natural in an UNCITRAL price review arbitration against Atlantic LNG, centering on the conditions in the Spanish and US gas markets. The tribunal issued an award in our client’s favor for more than USD 4 billion in value.
- Gas Natural SDG, S.A. v. Nigeria LNG Limited, UNCITRAL Arbitration, Award, dated 14 June 2005 – representing Gas Natural in a UNCITRAL price review arbitration against Nigeria LNG, centering on the deregulation of the European natural gas markets. The tribunal issued an award in our client’s favor for more than USD 2 billion in value.
- Edison S.p.A. v. Ras Laffan Liquefied Natural Gas Company Limited (II) (“RasGas”), ICC Case No. 17788/VRO – acting for Edison SpA in a natural gas price review ICC arbitration against RasGas, concerning end-user prices in the European gas market due to the economic crises, increased competition and other factors. The tribunal issued an award in our client’s favor in the amount of €450 million.