The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released its final rule for Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) on October 20. In the final rule, CMS made significant changes to entice providers to participate in the Medicare Shared Savings Program. On the heels of this release, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey and Strategic Health Care hosted the webinar “ACOs: The Final Rule and New Opportunities” to discuss these changes.
Speakers included Squire Sanders partners John M. Kirsner and Peter A. Pavarini, as well as Strategic Health Care’s Paul Lee and Marian Lowe.
Topics addressed at the webinar included:
- ACO organization and governance
- New opportunities for rural and small community providers to create or join ACOs
- Advanced funding of ACO start-up costs
- Antitrust requirements
- CMS and Office of the Inspector General waivers
- Financial/risk sharing: insurance law implications
- Improvements to the shared savings rate
- Lower barriers to entry on quality and electronic health record (EHR) metrics
A recording of the combined audio and visual presentation materials is now available online.