View Authors 4 June 2012
IN THIS ISSUE
RECENT CASE SUMMARIES
- Second Circuit Upholds Denial of Motion to Disqualify Law Firm in Arbitration
Utica Mut. Ins. Co. v. INA Reinsurance Co., No. 10-4164-cv, 2012 WL 858531 (2d Cir. Mar. 15, 2012) (Summary Order Without Precedential Effect).
- New York Federal Court Grants Reinsurer's Petition to Confirm Arbitration Award
Ace Am. Ins. Co. v. Christiana Ins. LLC, 2012 U. S. Dist. LEXIS 51863, 2012 WL 1232972 (S. D. N. Y. Apr. 12, 2012).
- New York State Court Rejects Motion to Vacate Arbitration Award Where Panel Asked That a Witness Testify at the Arbitration Hearing
Petry Holding, Inc. v. The Rural Media Group, Inc., No. 651578 (N. Y. Sup. Ct. Apr. 25, 2012).
- New York Federal Court Grants Motion Declaring Cedent's Excess Insurance Obligations Not Contingent Upon Exhaustion of Primary Insurance Policy
Lexington Ins. Co. v. Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Ins. Co. Ltd., No. 11 Civ. 391 (DAB), 2012 WL 1278005 (S. D. N. Y. Mar. 28, 2012).
- New Jersey Federal Court Awards Pre-Judgment Interest Based on Equity
Munich Reinsurance Am. Inc. v. Tower Ins. Co., No. 09-2598, 2012 WL 1018799 (D. N. J. Mar. 26, 2012).
- New York Federal Court Upholds Magistrate Judge's Order Requiring Cedent to Produce Loss Reserve Documents
Granite State Ins. Co. v. Clearwater Ins. Co., No. 09 Civ. 10607 (RKE), 2012 WL 1520851 (S. D. N. Y. Apr. 30, 2012).
- Washington Federal Court Partially Grants Motion to Compel Disclosure of Reinsurance Information
Isilon Sys. Inc. v. Twin City Fire Ins. Co., No. C10-1392 WL 503854 (W. D. Wash. Feb. 15, 2012).
- Louisiana Federal Court Interprets Insurance Contract to Provide Bond Insurer with Broad Right to Withhold Consent to Insured's Proposed Issuance of Additional Debt
Women's Hosp. Found. v. Nat'l Pub. Fin. Guar. Corp., No. 11-cv-00014, 2012 U. S. Dist. LEXIS 37564 (M. D. La. March 20, 2012).
- Cedent Excess Carrier Not Precluded From Asserting Subrogation Claims Against Primary Insurer Where Cedent Was Reimbursed by Its Reinsurer
United Heritage Prop. & Cas. Co. v. Farmers Alliance Mut. Ins. Co., No. Civ. 1:10-456 WBS (D. Idaho Feb. 27, 2012).
- Minnesota Federal Court Grants Motion to Dismiss Claim Against Intermediary
Olympus Ins. Co. v. AON Benfield, Inc., 2012 U. S. Dist. LEXIS 44929; 2012 WL 1072334 (D. Minn. Mar. 30, 2012).
- New York's Highest Court Dismisses State Law Antitrust Claim Against Equitas
Global Reinsurance Corp. - U. S. Branch v. Equitas Ltd., ___ N. E. 2d ___, 2012 WL 995268 (N. Y. Mar. 27, 2012).
- Texas Intermediate Appeals Court Rules Against Insurance Agent on Evidence of Damages
Gamma Group, Inc. v. Transatlantic Reinsurance Co., No. 05-10-00705-CV, 2012 WL 1025781 (Tex. App. - Dallas Mar. 28, 2012).
- Texas Appeals Court Affirms Judgment Against Reinsurer
Arch Reinsurance Co. v. Underwriters Serv. Agency, Inc., No. 02-10-00365-CV, 2012 WL 1432556 (Tex. App. - Fort Worth Apr. 26, 2012, no pet. ) (Not Precedential)
- Massachusetts State Court Dismisses Action to Disqualify Counsel From a Reinsurance Dispute
Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London v. Sidley Austin, LLP, No. 10-4663-BLS2 (Sup. Ct. Mass. Mar. 5, 2012).