View Authors 15 March 2013
RECENT CASE SUMMARIES
- New York Court of Appeals Reverses Summary Judgment on Follow-the-Settlements Case
U.S. Fid. & Guar. Co. v. Am. Re-Ins. Co., 2013 WL 451666 (N.Y. Feb. 7, 2013).
- Second Circuit Holds That Federal Common Law Governs the Interpretation of the Term "Arbitration"
M.D. Imad John Bakoss v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's of London, __F3d __, 2013 WL 238708 (2d Cir. Jan. 23, 2013).
- Minnesota Federal Court Stays Litigation Pending Arbitration
Security Life Ins. Co. of Am. v. Southwest Reinsure, Inc., No. 11-1358 (MJD/JJK), 2013 WL 500362 (D. Minn. Feb. 11, 2013).
- New York Federal Court Denies Preliminary Injunction on Alleged Use of Confidential Information
Utica Mut. Ins. Co. v. INA Reinsurance Co., No. 6:12-CV-00194 (DNH/TWD) (N.D.N.Y. Dec. 14, 2012).
- Wisconsin Federal Court Remands Arbitration Counsel Disqualification Action to State Court
Nat'l Cas. Co. v. Utica Mut. Ins. Co., No. 12-cv-657-bbc, 2012 WL 6190084 (W.D. Wisc. Dec. 12, 2012).
- Supreme Court of Washington State Holds That State Statute Prohibits Binding Arbitration Agreements in Insurance Contracts
State of Washington, Dep't of Transp. v. James River Ins. Co., 87644-4, 2013 WL 174111 (Wash. Jan. 17, 2013).
- New York Court Grants Cedent's Request to Appoint Umpire
In re American Home Assurance Co. and Clearwater Ins. Co., No. 653079/12, 2013 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 103 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. Jan. 15, 2013).
- Second Circuit Refuses to Extend Reinsurance Late Notice Prejudice Rule to P&I Club Certificate
Weeks Marine, Inc. v. American Steamship Owners Mut. Protection & Indemn. Ass'n, Inc., No. 11-3774-cv, 2013 WL 377979 (Summary Order) (2d Cir. Feb. 1, 2013).
- New York Federal Court Denies Motion to Reconsider on Reinsurer Summary Judgment on Most Claims Made by Terminated Managing Agent, But Certifies Order as Final for Appeal
Acumen Re Management Corp. v. Gen. Sec. Nat'l Ins. Co., No. 09 Civ. 796 (GBD), 2012 WL 3890128 (S.D.N.Y. Dec. 4, 2012).
- Ohio Federal Court Transfers Reinsurance Dispute to Florida
Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London v. Stonebridge Cas. Ins. Co., No. 2:12-cv-160 (S.D. Ohio Dec. 17, 2012).
- Illinois Federal Court Refuses to Strike a Motion to Dismiss on Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act Grounds
Pine Top Receivables of Ill., Inc. v. Banco de Seguros Del Estado, No. 12 C 6357, 2012 WL 6216759 (N.D. Ill. Dec. 13, 2012).
- Utah Federal Court Denies Reinsurers' Recovery of Attorney Fees
National Indem. Co. v. Nelson, Chipman & Burt, No. 2:07-CV-996 TS, 2013 WL 226881 (D. Utah Jan. 18, 2013).
- Connecticut Federal Court Grants Cedent's Motion to Amend Complaint Adding Account Stated and CUPTA Claims
The Travelers Indem. Co. v. Excalibur Reinsurance Corp., No. 3:11-CV-1209 (CDH), 2012 WL 424535 (D. Conn. Feb. 1, 2013).
- Texas Appellate Court Concludes that Foreign Country Judgments Assessing Costs against an Insurer Are Enforceable Under Foreign Country Money-Judgments Statute
New Hampshire Ins. Co. v. Magellan Reins. Co. Ltd., 02-00334-cv, 2013 WL 105654 (Tex. App. Jan. 10, 2013).
RECENT ENGLISH CASE SUMMARIES
- English High Court Affirms Arbitration Award Finding That World Trade Center Attack Constituted Two Separate Occurrences
Aioi Nissay Dowa Ins. Co. Ltd. v. Heraldglen Ltd. and Advent Capital (No. 3) Lts.  EWHC 165 (Comm).