View Author March 2016
Welcome to the March edition of Workplace View.
- Our lead article looks at when an employee is a “true casual”, following a recent decision where an employee engaged as a “casual” was found to be entitled to make an unfair dismissal claim.
- Our Employer Reminder highlights the importance of ensuring deductions from wages are lawful and employee records are accurately maintained.
- In our Did You Know…? section, we consider recent cases where the Fair Work Commission has denied employers legal representation in unfair dismissal proceedings.
- This month we commence a new OSH Update section in our newsletter, that looks at topical issues and news in the occupational safety and health (OSH) space. This month we look at how OSH obligations can extend into the area of competitive sport.
- In our Events Update we provide you with details of the first seminar this year in our Labour & Employment Seminar Series in both Perth and Sydney. Our seminar we will discuss “Redundancy – Getting the Process Right” from both a legal and human resources perspective.
- We would like you to get to know our team and in this month’s Meet the Team we introduce you to Elizabeth McLean, senior associate in the Perth office.