View Authors June 2016
Welcome to this month’s edition of Workplace View.
- Our lead article takes a look at an interesting decision of the WA Industrial Magistrates Court, on a threshold issue, of whether service with related entities (located overseas) will count as continuous service for the purposes of long service leave, for an employee employed by a Western Australian company.
- In our ‘Did You Know?’ section, we look at the right to stand down employees.
- Our ‘OSH Update’ refers to a recent decision of the Federal Court of Australia confirming an employee’s belief that their workload is excessive can be enough to uphold a workers’ compensation claim.
- In our Migration Alert we note the recommendations arising from the recent Senate Inquiry into the impact of the 457 Visa Programme on the Australian labour market, as well as changes to the 457 Visa Programme.
- In this month’s ‘Meet the Team’ we introduce you to Andrew Burnett, Counsel in the Perth office.
- In our Events Update we provide you with details of the next seminar in our Labour & Employment Seminar Series in both Perth and Sydney. In this seminar we will discuss “Strategies for Employers to Reduce Labour Costs”.
We hope you enjoy the June edition of Workplace View.