View Authors April 2017
Welcome to the April edition of Workplace View.
- Our lead article looks at a recent discrimination claim where an employer was found to have acted too hastily in refusing the employment of an applicant with mental illness.
- Our Migration Alert provides a brief overview of the recent government announcement to abolish the 457 visa programme and the introduction of a more restrictive replacement.
- In our Did You Know? section, we consider the fine line employers must tread in determining whether employee misconduct on social media is a valid reason for dismissal.
- Our OSH Update refers to the importance of ensuring risk assessments and emergency management plans are conducted by properly trained employees.
- In our Employer Reminder, we remind employers to review casual employment arrangements to ensure their employees are still truly “casual” to avoid claims for unpaid leave.
- Our Legislation Update looks at some employment legislation currently before Parliament.
- Our Events Update provides details of the first seminar in our Labour & Employment Seminar Series for 2017, to be presented in our Sydney and Perth offices, on the topic “On-boarding new employees – How to get it Right”.
We hope you enjoy the April edition of Workplace View.