View Authors May 2017
Welcome to the May edition of Workplace View.
- Our lead article takes a look at the potentially expensive consequences of using “independent contractor” arrangements to avoid employment obligations.
- In our “Did You Know?” section, we consider a recent case where a third-party service provider (a tax and accountancy firm) was found liable under the accessory provisions of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), arising from its clients contraventions.
- Our OSH Update takes a look at a recent case where an employer’s reliance on an internal training website to train employees was found to be insufficient to ensure a safe system of work.
- In our Employer Reminder, we remind employers of the importance of having well-drafted workplace policies and procedures, including not only traditional policies, but also those more modern policies.
- In our Workplace Quiz, we test how well you know your modern award access obligations.
- Our Events Update provides details of our next seminar in our Labour & Employment Seminar Series for 2017, to be presented in our Perth office, on the topic “On-boarding new employees – How to get it Right”.
We hope you enjoy the May edition of Workplace View.