Copyright Licences for Television and Film Content in Hotels

    View Authors July 2017

    A number of hotel operators have been contacted over recent weeks by the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) informing them that an additional licence is now required on top of their TV licence.

    Many hotel companies are unaware who MPLC is, what it does and whether this information is correct. If you operate a hotel and/or have been contacted by MPLC, this article summarises:

    • MPLC and Filmbank – Who They Are and What They Do
    • Why You May Need a Copyright License for Television and Film Content
    • When and How Licence Fees Are Payable
    • How MPLC and Filmbank Calculate License Fees
    • Dealing With Approaches From MPLC or Filmbank