View Authors July 2017
Welcome to the July edition of Workplace View.
- Our lead article takes a look at a very recent case involving a “Regional Director” who earned above the high income threshold but was still found to have access to unfair dismissal laws.
- We highlight key changes arising from the commencement of the new financial year, including minimum wages, the high income threshold, unfair dismissal compensation, civil penalties under the Fair Work Act and the impending introduction of a casual conversion clause in 85 modern awards.
- In our Did You Know? section, we consider a recent case involving a labour hire company that was found to have unfairly dismissed an employee when a host employer revoked the working arrangement.
- In our Employer Reminder, we remind employers of the importance of being wary of new employees bringing confidential information to their employment, by looking at a recent case where an employer had to account for profits of more than AU$6.5 million through the misuse of confidential information.
- Our Legislation Update looks at the status of recent employment-related legislation moving through Parliament.
- Our Events Update provides details of our next seminar in our Labour & Employment Seminar Series for 2017, to be presented in our Sydney office, on the topic “Off-boarding Employees – How to Get It Right” (also presented in Perth on 26 July 2017).
We hope you enjoy the July edition of Workplace View.