View Authors November 2017
Welcome to the November edition of Workplace View.
- Our lead article takes a look at recent amendments to the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), through the Fair Work Amendment (Protecting Vulnerable Workers) Act 2017.
- In our Did You Know? section, we consider a recent case where a redundant employee who made an unfair dismissal claim was reinstated with his employer, even though his position no longer existed.
- Our OSH Update takes a look at a recent case where a labour hire company was found liable for the negligent actions of its employee at a client’s site, with a judgement of nearly AU$1 million in damages imposed on the company.
- In our Employer Reminder, we remind employers of the importance of ensuring workers engaged as independent contractors are engaged on the correct basis, following a recent case where a husband-wife team engaged as contractors to provide home-based clerical work for a truck repair company were found to be employees.
- In our Migration Alert we report on the introduction of two new visa pathways for Singaporean citizens, making it easier for Singaporeans to visit Australia.
- Our Legislation Update looks at the recent progress of employment-related bills before Parliament.
- Our Events Update provides details of our new year clinic and seminar event in February 2018.
We hope you enjoy this edition of Workplace View.