The Dubai International Financial Centre Authority (DIFCA) has released a consultation paper inviting public comment on its proposed new employment law, DIFC Employment Law No. 6 of 2018 (Proposed Law), which will replace DIFC Employment Law No 4. of 2005. The Proposed Law includes a number of significant changes, including:
- Broadening the application of the law, so that it may apply to short term and part time employees
- Introducing new discrimination grounds and remedies for discrimination
- Introducing the concept of constructive dismissal and potential compensation
- Removing forfeiture of the end of service gratuity where an employee is dismissed for cause
- Introducing protections for whistleblowers
We are participating in the consultation process and will be providing comments to the DIFCA on the Proposed Law. We have prepared a short survey seeking comments from businesses with operations in the DIFC (or those simply interested) on the key changes in the Proposed Law and we invite you to participate in the survey. The survey should take no more than five minutes to complete and is a great opportunity for businesses to have some input into the laws affecting employees. We would really welcome your input. To ensure your thoughts and comments on the Proposed Law are taken into account in our submission to the DIFCA, please complete the survey by no later than 5 p.m. on Wednesday 14 March 2018.
You can access the DIFCA consultation paper and the Proposed Law on the DIFC website.
If you have any questions in relation to the Proposed Law, please do not hesitate to contact us.