View Author July 2019
Welcome to the July 2019 edition of Workplace View.
- Our lead article takes a look at the well publicised Israel Folau case and the protection of an employer’s reputation.
- In our Did You Know? section, we consider the recent ministerial review of Western Australia’s industrial relations system.
- Our OSH Alert looks at a recent decision of the District Court of Queensland to set aside the first prosecution of a company director under the industrial manslaughter provisions in the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (Qld).
- In our Migration Alert, we consider the new sponsorship framework for family visas (including partner visas).
- In our Legislation Update, we note the national minimum wage increase and commencement of the new Corporations Amendment (Strengthening Protections for Employee Entitlements) Act 2019.
- Our Case Law Update refers to an interesting case where the Full Bench of the Fair Work Commission found an employer’s dismissal of an employee, who refused to comply with a direction to use a fingerprint scanner to record his attendance, was unfair, on the grounds the direction was unlawful in the circumstances.
- In our Events Update, we provide details of our next employment webinar to be held on Wednesday 14 August 2019, on Adverse Action claims.