The aviation practice at global law firm Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P. receives national ranking in the recently released legal guide Chambers USA 2009. The annual guide identifies leading lawyers and law firms.
Chambers USA characterizes the group as an “aviation regulatory practice ... that is a consistent player year after year,” In addition, maritime lawyer Brian D. Starer receives top ranking nationally for litigation work within the shipping industry.
Squire Sanders is also recommended at the state level in the following practice areas:
- Banking and Finance – Public finance lawyers in Florida are noted for their “exceptional experience in municipal finance.” One client says, “Because of his incredible expertise, it is always wonderful to work with [Florida practice coordinator] Albert A. del Castillo.” Chambers USA also recognizes the work of Luis Reiter and Alexandra M. MacLennan. The guide recommends the financial services team based in Ohio for its “extensive knowledge of commercial lending” and ability to protect clients’ interests. Guy F. Guinn, cochair of the banking and debt finance practice, is ranked in the top tier and is described by one client as “one of the finest attorneys that I have ever worked with.” Fellow cochair Osborne Mills Jr., who also has a top ranking, “has a fantastic understanding of what the real issues are,” and JoEllen Minchak is highly recommended for her “focus and ability in complicated matters.”
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring – The “outstanding restructuring group” helped place Squire Sanders among the top-ranked firms in Ohio. Stephen D. Lerner is designated a Chambers USA star individual, while clients praise him as “one of the best restructuring lawyers in the state” and “a top-notch attorney who can take complicated issues, break them down and provide practical, experienced answers.” In addition, top-rated G. Christopher Meyer, who focuses on creditor work, is an “extremely bright and practical lawyer,” while Jeffrey A. Marks is noted as being an “expert in financing matters related to restructuring.”
- Corporate/M&A – Chambers USA recommends Squire Sanders in three states. In Arizona, lawyers are noted for acting in tandem with bankruptcy lawyers on distressed M&A matters as well as being able to tap the firm’s national and global resources. As one client observes, “They can get answers from anywhere very quickly indeed.” Noted lawyers in Arizona include Christopher D. Johnson (who earned the highest rating); Frank M. Placenti, who is commended for his strong communication skills; Joseph P. Richardson, who clients say “never overreacts and always provides practical advice”; and Joseph M. Crabb. In Florida, Thomas R. McGuigan is “one of Florida’s brightest and most respected attorneys – a living legend,” clients report. Ohio-based lawyers are bolstered by the firm’s international presence, the guide states. Mary Ann Jorgenson is noted for advising clients on the “cross-border and global aspects of large and complex transactions,” while clients acknowledge Gordon S. Kaiser Jr. for his skill in “adeptly managing extremely complex transactions.”
- Environment – The Arizona team is recommended for environmental litigation and water rights including work that the guide termed “the country’s most cutting-edge brownfield developments and significant water transfer projects.” Clients laud the team’s strategic thinking, noting that Christopher D. Thomas will always search for the most direct solution to a problem. Clients describe Peter W. Culp as “one of the lead authorities on water law in (the) Southwest USA.” Chambers USA gives lawyers in Ohio the highest recommendation and “substantially endorsed” the team for its skills working with Ohio’s regulatory bodies and agencies. Environmental health and safety practice group leader Karen A. Winters is noted for her work in the steel industry, and Geoffrey K. Barnes is praised as an acclaimed trial lawyer in environmental enforcement actions and toxic tort claims.
- Labor and Employment – Ohio-based lawyers David J. Millstone and Timothy J. Sheeran all receive top ranking. Hastings is noted for her work in education law, while Millstone is singled out for his “broad knowledge of all aspects of employment law.”
- Litigation: General Commercial – Chambers USA states this practice is “widely renowned for its quality and depth, from associate to partner level.” Squire Sanders’ Florida trial lawyers are “some of the state’s most respected trial lawyers.” Top-rated Alvin B. Davis is considered a “consummate and incredibly experienced litigator.” In Ohio, the firm is proficient in high-profile product liability and business litigation cases. Ohio-based Thomas S. Kilbane wins a top ranking.
- Real Estate – The Florida and Ohio practices are recommended. Based in the Tampa office, Stephen J. Mitchell is a standout lawyer, according to Chambers USA, and Ohio lawyers Michael D. Saad and Bryan J. Venesy are highly recommended for their financing expertise, particularly the public financing of development projects.
In addition, the firm is recognized in Ohio for construction and employee benefits and executive compensation.
For more information, see Squire Sanders’ Chambers USA 2009 webpage.
About Squire Sanders: Founded in 1890, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P. has lawyers in 32 offices and 15 countries around the world. With one of the strongest integrated global platforms and a longstanding one-firm philosophy, Squire Sanders provides seamless legal counsel worldwide.
Media Relations Manager
Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P.