Seven lawyers from the Cleveland and Phoenix offices of global law firm Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P. have been named Lawyer of the Year for 2011 by The Best Lawyers in America® in the following practice groups: Corporate Transactions, Finance & Governance; Bankruptcy & Restructuring; Public Finance; and Tax & Benefits.
Each year, Best Lawyers surveys more than 3 million lawyers for their opinion on their peers’ ability, professionalism and integrity. The publication uses survey results to identify Lawyers of the Year in specific high-level legal specialties in large legal communities. The Squire Sanders lawyers selected are:
- Daniel G. Berick, named 2011 Cleveland Securities Lawyer of the Year, focuses his practice on securities law, corporate finance and corporate transactional matters. He is consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America for corporate law, securities law, leveraged buyouts, mergers and acquisitions law and private equity law. He was named a 2010 Ohio Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine and has been listed in The Legal 500 US. Berick frequently speaks and writes on corporate legal issues.
- Ernie K. Demanelis, named 2011 Cleveland Public Finance Lawyer of the Year, is a Fellow of the American College of Bond Counsel, an honor given in recognition of his accomplishments and legal expertise in the field of bond law. He has served as bond counsel in connection with tax exempt financings for a variety of infrastructure environmental projects. He is consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
- Christopher D. Johnson, named 2011 Phoenix Corporate Lawyer of the Year, has more than 30 years of experience in corporate law, corporate finance and corporate reorganizations. He regularly receives top ranking among Arizona corporate lawyers from The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers. Lawdragon 500 has recognized him as one of its Leading Dealmakers in America. He has also repeatedly been named by his peers for inclusion in Southwest Super Lawyers.
- Mary Ann Jorgenson, named 2011 Cleveland Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year, is consistently listed in leading legal directories including The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers and PLC Which lawyer? She received the 2009 Jean Allard Glass Cutter Award from the American Bar Association for her accomplishments and leadership in creating opportunities for women. She is the current chair of DirectWomen and was also recently inducted into the Ohio Women’s Hall of Fame.
- G. Christopher Meyer, named 2011 Cleveland Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Lawyer of the Year, is a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy, and board member and chair of the College’s Liaisons Committee. He is also a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute. He is consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, PLC Which lawyer?, The Legal 500 US and Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers, and has been named an Ohio Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine.
- Osborne Mills, Jr., 2011 Cleveland Banking Lawyer of the Year, is co-chair of the Squire Sanders Banking and Debt Finance Practice Group. Mills has broad experience in all aspects of corporate and real estate lending, syndicated credit facilities, asset based lending, project finance and loan workouts. He is regularly listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, Lawdragon Leading Lawyers in America and Inside Business Leading Lawyers, and has been named an Ohio Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine.
- Terrence G. Perris, named 2011 Cleveland Tax Lawyer of the Year, heads the firm’s Tax & Benefits Practice Group. He is listed in Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in American Law and is consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America. He has also been named an Ohio Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine. Before joining the firm, Perris was a judicial clerk to Justice Potter Stewart of the US Supreme Court. Mr. Perris has also served as a visiting professor of law at the University of Michigan Law School. He frequently publishes on tax issues.
About Squire Sanders: Founded in 1890, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P. has lawyers in 32 offices and 15 countries around the world. With one of the strongest integrated global platforms and a longstanding one-firm philosophy, Squire Sanders provides seamless legal counsel worldwide.
Media Relations Manager
Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P.