Squire Sanders has been shortlisted as “Dominican Republic Law Firm of the Year” for Chambers Latin America Awards. The awards are based on research for the 2013 edition of Chambers Latin America: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, and given to local firms in each country and to the leading international players across the region. The awards reflect a law firm’s pre-eminence in key practice areas, while taking into account notable achievements over the past 12 months including outstanding work, impressive strategic growth, and excellences in client service. The winners of the awards will be announced at a ceremony on Monday, September 9, 2013, at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach, Florida.
Squire Sanders’ Latin America practice group routinely handles some of the most noteworthy matters taking place in the Dominican Republic, including:
- Assisted MercaSID, S.A., one of the country’s largest industrial groups, in the negotiation of a joint venture with Grupo Propagas, a leading company in the distribution of hydrocarbon fuels in the Dominican Republic, for the development of a fuel distribution and retail business;
- Advised the Embassy of the United States in the Dominican Republic on the acquisition of land for its new US$194 million, 16-acre compound in Santo Domingo;
- Represented client Owens Illinois for the past four years in landmark cases such as obtaining the recognition and enforcement of three AAA arbitral awards through proceedings conducted before and after the enactment of the new Dominican commercial arbitration law;
- Acted as local counsel to JP Morgan Securities in a US$550 million bond offering by Aeropuertos Dominicanos Siglo XXI, S.A., the largest in the country’s history;
- Represented Banesco, one of Venezuela’s largest commercial bank in obtaining a license to operate as a commercial bank in the Dominican Republic, as well as in the expansion of these operations, which has included the opening of 8 new offices in various locations; and
- Assisted Deloitte Costa Rica and Dominican Republic in the process of a merger and the integration of professional practices with two of the partners of one of the most important international consulting firms in the Dominican Republic.
Earlier in the month, the Latin America practice group and several individual lawyers were also recognized by IFLR1000 2013, an annual guide to the world’s leading financial and corporate law firms.