Squire Patton Boggs, in partnership with the German Federal Association of In-house Lawyers (Bundesverband der Unternehmensjuristen), hosted the first Stuttgart Automotive Law Conference. The half-day event, which took place at LeMéridien, Stuttgart, on 28 April 2016, focused on the domestic and international legal and business issues facing the automotive sector in Germany and was one of the first conferences of its kind to be held in this country.
Squire Patton Boggs’ legal experts with extensive industry experience and specific country knowledge of the US, China and Germany gave presentations on the latest developments in compliance, regulatory investigation and risk management affecting the automotive sector. The event was very well attended by general counsel and senior legal and compliance advisers working in the German and international automotive manufacturing and technology.
The in-depth panel discussions covered the following topics:
- Conflict mineral rules – Requirements placed on automotive suppliers
- Governmental investigations in the US and Germany – Do’s and don’ts for company management
- Disruptions in the supply chain – Enforcing the continuation of delivery under the threat of suspended delivery
- Data protection and cyber risks in relation to autonomous driving – Legal challenges for digital automobiles
- Risk management when doing business in the US automotive market
- Automotive China – Current legal topics
The formal presentations were followed by a networking reception where presenters and attendees had an opportunity to carry on their discussion in a more informal setting.
“This was a special opportunity to discuss the key legal issues facing German and international automotive companies operating in the world’s largest automotive markets”, said Dr. Alexander Imberg, head of Squire Patton Boggs’ German Practice. “We brought together experts from numerous legal disciplines, all members of our global automotive group, to explain in clear terms and with practical examples the latest business challenges and opportunities. It was great to see so many clients and colleagues from across this important industry sector enjoy this summit in Stuttgart. We look forward to another successful event in 2017.”