Our lawyers have deep experience with regulatory capital requirements and regularly represent underwriters and issuers including banks, insurance companies, specialty finance companies and other financial enterprises. In India we have particular experience in the technology and energy sectors.
- HSBC Securities, Axis Capital, ICICI Securities and Edelweiss Capital – representing as US/international counsel on the proposed Rule 144A Initial Public Offering (IPO) by Equitas Holdings Limited, one of the largest non-banking financial services companies in India.
- Prabhat Dairy Limited – advised the underwriters Macquarie Capital Securities, Edelweiss Capital and SBI Capital on US and international law aspects of the US$56 million IPO of Prabhat Dairy Limited, the first Indian dairy company to list publicly.
- Power Finance Corporation – advised Axis Capital and SBI Capital on the US and international law aspects of a US$250 million equity offering by Power Finance Corporation, one of the largest Government of India disinvestment transactions in 2015.
- Power Mech – advised the underwriters Kotak Mahindra Capital, India Infoline and Motilal Oswal Investment Advisors, on US and international law regarding the US$42 million IPO of Power Mech, one of India’s leading integrated power infrastructure services companies.
- Infibeam Incorporation Limited – advising one of India’s leading e-commerce companies, on its proposed Rs. 4.5 billion IPO. The proposed IPO will be the first public listing in India by an e-commerce company.
- Ramco Systems Limited – advising Axis Capital Limited and Ambit Corporate Finance Private Limited on Ramco Systems Limited’s Rs.3.25 billion (US$52 million) Rule 144A qualified institutional placement.
- VRL Logistics Limited – advising HSBC Securities and Capital Markets (India) Private Limited and ICICI Securities Limited on VRL Logistics Limited’s Rs.4.6 billion initial public offering. The offering includes a fresh issue as well as an offer for sale including by leading private equity firm, New Silk Route.
- Power Grid Corporation – advising UBS, Citigroup, ICICI Securities, Kotak Mahindra and SBI Capital on the US$1.2 billion follow on public offering by Power Grid Corporation. One of the largest equity offerings in India in 2013.
- Government of India and Power Finance Corporation – advising on its US$1.2 billion follow-on public offering managed by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, ICICI Securities and JM Financial. Awarded Equity Capital Markets Deal of the Year 2012 by IFLR.
- Manganese Ore India Limited – advising JP Morgan, Edelweiss and IDBI Capital on the US$223 million initial public offering by Manganese Ore India Limited, a Government of India disinvestment transaction of India’s largest manganese ore company.
Our corporate practice provides comprehensive legal services spanning all aspects of complex local, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional corporate matters. Our team is supported by lawyers around the world with expertise in all relevant practice areas, and by the extensive expertise of our multi-disciplinary industry groups in key sectors such as natural resources, communications and the rapidly developing consumer goods market.
- Cyient Asia Pacific – advised on its acquisition of Singapore-based Global Services Engineering Asia, the Singapore services operations of global aerospace giant Pratt & Whitney.
- Venkateshawara Hatcheries Group – advising on its acquisition of Blackburn Rovers Football Club in the UK.
- Wipro Unza Limited – advising on its US$144 million acquisition of L.D. Waxsons group with operations in Singapore, China, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Malaysia.
- Jindal Polyfilms – advising on its US$230 million acquisition of the films division of Exxon Mobil with operations in the United States, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Italy, Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Vectra Limited – advising this Indian company with businesses operating in the automotive, engineering and construction equipment sectors, in connection with its shareholding in Tatra holding s.r.o., a truck manufacturing company in the Czech Republic.
- SingTel – advising this leading Asia-based telecommunications provider, in its US$3 billion joint venture submarine cable project with an Indian telecommunications company.
- Bureau Veritas – advising the French multi-national company, on its cross-border acquisition of Mumbai-based Sievert Group, which involved India, the UAE, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia and Singapore.
- Manipal Group – advising on its US$70 million acquisition and investment in the healthcare sector in Malaysia, including acquisition of a hospital in Malaysia.
- American Tower Corporation, Inc. – advising.in its acquisition of the passive telecom infrastructure business of the Essar Group in India.
Banking and Finance
Our global team combines industry best practice with local market knowledge and includes several former regulators, executives and internal legal counsel at financial institutions and other financial intermediaries.
- Standard Chartered Bank – advised as arrangers of a combined US$30 million financing for a 20 MW solar power project in India for Jakson Power Private Limited.
- ICICI Bank – advised as arranger of a US$25 million financing for the development of a hydro-power project in South Africa by Tata Africa Holdings (SA) (Proprietary) Limited.
- Standard Chartered Bank – advised as arranger of a 10 year US$88.4 million EKN-backed financing for Tata Teleservices Limited. This transaction was recognised by Trade Finance magazine as a capital equipment financing Deal of the Year.
- ICICI Bank – advised as arranger of a US$300 million leveraged acquisition financing of the purchase of 50% of the shares in InterGen by GMR Infrastructure. This transaction was the winner of Asia Legal Business’ Deal of the Year and Asset & Corporate Finance Deal of the Year.
- Axis Bank – advised as arranger of the leveraged acquisition financing of the purchase by GMR Group of PT Barasentosa Lestari (an Indonesian coal mine) for US$29 million.
- BNP Paribas, Credit Suisse, FMO, ICICI Bank, Societe Generale and Standard Chartered Bank – advised as arrangers of a US$75 million steel structured commodities syndicated financing for Stemcor (S.E.A.) Pte Ltd and Uttam Galva Steel Limited. Trade Finance magazine structured commodity financing Deal of the Year.
Projects and Infrastructure
Our multidisciplinary Infrastructure team assists major project sponsors, governments, lenders, investors, credit agencies, construction and operating companies and uses the detailed knowledge of local regulatory and economic drivers to ensure that the inherent challenges in delivering complex infrastructure projects in India are successfully overcome, wherever they are located.
- Indian Multinational – advising a large multinational company in India in connection with their project to a build a port facility in Mozambique.
- US sponsor – advising on the development of the TIDCO liquid natural gas (LNG) receiving terminal for a 1,500 MW power plant in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.
- US IPP – advising on the development and financing of a 250 MW lignite-fired Neyveli power project in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.
- US IPP – advising on the acquisition of an interest in, and development and financing of GMR Vasavi’s 200 MW gas-fired power plant in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.
- US IPP – advising on the acquisition of an interest in, and development and financing of GVK Industries Ltd’s 235 MW gas-fired power plant in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Genting Bhd – advising in its acquisition of the 350 MW Kondapalli power project in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Arranger – advised the arranger of the US$66 million project financing of a toll road project in Karnataka, India for IRB Tumkur Chitradurga Tollway Private Limited.
- Arranger – advised the arranger of the US$44 million project financing of a toll road project in Rajasthan, India for IRB Jaipur Deoli Tollway Private Limited.
- Arranger – advised the arranger of a US$22.7 million term loan facility for SEW Vizag Port Terminal Limited to part finance its development of a thermal coal and steam coal handling port project in India.
*some of the work listed was undertaken by lawyers whilst at other firms