Our Class Action & Multidistrict Litigation Practice has successfully represented clients, across all industries, in hundreds of nationwide, multistate and statewide class actions, mass actions and multidistrict litigation (MDL). We have particularly strong experience in the most aggressive class action states, including California, Florida, Illinois, New Jersey, New York and Ohio.
Our success is the result of our creative, aggressive defense strategies and our familiarity with managing complex class and mass actions. Clients regularly retain us as their national coordinating counsel in their most complex mass actions and MDLs. We have also served as court-approved liaison counsel in a number of MDL proceedings, including appearances before the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
Why Choose Us
- Extensive class action and mass action experience, including MDLs, in the areas of consumer fraud, false advertising, consumer products, financial services and toxic tort claims.
- Bellwether trial wins, including In re: MDL Litigation regarding Texas City Refinery Ultracracker Emission, 56th Judicial District Court of Galveston County, Texas, where US$10 billion was at stake for our client, BP America.
- Success in false advertising and consumer products putative class actions around the nation, including:
- Jarrett v. Panasonic Corporation of North America, Case No. 12-cv-00739, US District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas in which the court struck class allegations prior to discovery and denied plaintiff’s request to amend the class allegations
- Santos v. Sanyo Manufacturing Corp., Case No. 12-11452, US District Court, District of Massachusetts in which the court granted defendant’s motion to dismiss the complaint
- Martin Murray v. Sears, Roebuck and Co, et al., Case No. C 09-5744 CW, US District Court, Northern District of California in which we obtained denial of class certification
- Handling complex, high-stakes class actions stemming from financial services transactions, including John Dugan, Aurora Dugan, and Matthew Tapscott v. Lloyds TSB Bank, PLC, Case No. C 12-02549 WHA, US District Court, Northern District of California, which involves mortgage loan products sold in Asia and involving 11 currencies and real property security in 12 jurisdictions around the globe.
- Winning defense against highly aggressive and well-funded plaintiffs’ counsel class action tactics, including in Paul Veliz v. Cintas Corporation, Case No. 03-01180 RS (MEJ), US District Court, Northern District of California, a nationwide Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) class action and collective action and nationwide class arbitration, involving at least 18 state sub-classes and the potential for more than 40 state sub-classes, brought on behalf of over 30,000 plaintiffs.
We represent clients across all industries, including:
- Energy and Power
- Banking and Financial Services
- Communications and Media
- Retail and Entertainment
- Food and Beverage
- Pharmaceuticals, Medical Devices and Healthcare
- Transportation, including Automotive, Aerospace and Maritime