The High Court of Australia recently handed down the long-awaited decisions of Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMMEU) v Personnel Contracting Pty Ltd  HCA 1 and ZG Operations Australia Pty Ltd v Jamsek  HCA 2. Each decision, which tackled the question of whether certain workers were employees or independent contractors, affirmed the primacy of contractual terms in determining the legal character of the relationship – however, the contractual terms are still not the only matter that needs to be taken into account.
Combining expertise from our labour and employment and tax teams, our panel of experts will address these questions, as well as:
- The evolution of the employee versus contractor test
- An overview of the recent High Court of Australia decisions
- Tax and superannuation implications of engaging contractors
- Determining the best way to engage workers in your organisation
- Tips and drafting tricks to minimise the risk of a contractor ultimately being found to be an employee
There will also be an opportunity to participate in an interactive Q&A session.
Who Should Attend?
This seminar is suitable for HR personnel, in-house legal counsel and any senior manager or business owner who is responsible for the management of workers in Australia.