We employ a comprehensive approach when it comes to our International Trade Practice. We focus on global import and export compliance, international trade policy and market access and trade remedies/defense. Our lawyers practice international trade law in almost every country where we have an office, and our full-time practitioners operate out of our Washington DC, London and Brussels offices.
One of our most in-demand publications and a convenient tool to stay abreast of the latest information on International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Download your complimentary copy here.
We offer a “one-stop” service encompassing international trade compliance and policy acumen to make necessary judgments while operating effectively in a fast-paced and highly competitive environment around the globe.
Why Choose Us
Worldwide reach in a local context allows us to respond in real time to your international trade compliance and policy needs. Our globally integrated team ensures that we are locally represented or connected and knowledgeable of the legal and regulatory environment, the political climate and operational implications in each jurisdiction where you do business.
International Trade Compliance Solution
International trade compliance is governed by laws and regulations of multiple jurisdictions forming a highly complicated and ever-evolving global compliance regime. A single import or export transaction can implicate the rules of multiple jurisdictions, rules that are frequently inconsistent or even conflicting. Yet, understanding the various regulatory pieces affecting cross-border business and assembling those pieces into clear and efficient compliance strategies has never been more important. Assembling the puzzle requires sophisticated, coordinated legal counsel worldwide with an understanding of your business and your industry. Our presence in the US, EU, China, the Middle East and almost every other region in the world provides us with intimate knowledge of local government regulations, an understanding of the complexities of administration and enforcement and, most importantly, the ability to devise strategy to overcome challenges. The full range of international trade compliance issues includes export controls, economic sanctions, customs, anticorruption, anti-boycott, anti-money laundering and foreign investment clearance.
Our experience includes:
- Dealing with every category of the dual-use controls list and all varieties of military articles and services
- Understanding of the underlying policy considerations and agency practices of classification and licensing requirements
- Having extensive military exports experience – including the ITAR, the “600 series” and the EU and UK arms control rules, among others
- Offering advice on complex prohibitions that affect dealings with sanctioned countries and persons subject to trade embargoes and other economic sanctions
- Developing strategies to document anticorruption compliance in the context of gifts, corporate entertainment and engagement of the third parties
- Offering guidance on best practices and compliance alternatives to avoid unnecessarily burdening the business
- Providing tailored solutions to navigate clients through this complex and ever-evolving area
Excellence in International Trade Policy
We have decades of experience influencing trade legislative initiatives, actively engaging with US members of Congress, their staff and the administration throughout all phases of the legislative process. Our team is also ideally positioned to represent clients in European trade negotiations and advocate their interests before the European institutions. Our public policy work is bolstered by our substantive knowledge of trade law. Our past experiences include:
- Assisted in the negotiation and implementation of the highest number of large scale free trade agreements on behalf of sovereign nations
- Assisted in securing trade preferences for foreign governments through legislative strategies and government relations outreach
- Providing advice and guidance on a range of supply chain management, shipping, logistics, labor and related issues that impacted or impeded on the flow of international trade
- Offering advice on expansion and/or restoration of market access and reduction of tariff for a wide range of agricultural and food products originating from several countries