On December 20, 2013 the Ohio Department of Education Office for Exceptional Children published a memorandum to local educational agencies regarding an immediate change from 3301-51-05(H)(4)(c) of the current Operating Standards for Educational Agencies Serving Children with Disabilities. The change affects the procedures for providing Prior Written Notice (PR-01) to parents. In the past when parents gave consent /agreed to the IEP for:
- the initiation of special education and related services;
- the implementation of a revised IEP without a change of placement; or
- a change of placement as identified in an IEP
the IEP served as prior written notice and a separate PR-01 form was not required.
Effective immediately, parents or guardians of a child with a disability must receive a separate written notice (PR-01) when any change is proposed or made to the child’s free and appropriate public education through the IEP process, even where the parent has signed agreement with the IEP.
What Does This Mean For You?
Because this memorandum is now in effect, you need to:
- confirm that your district’s special education policies (adopted in 2009) are amended to reflect the change;
- notify all staff members involved in the development and/or implementation of individual education plans;
- train appropriate staff members regarding the change.
If you have any questions regarding the implementation of this change, please contact one of the individuals listed in this publication.