We have a fully integrated interdisciplinary Government Contracts Practice supported by lawyers and advisors who advise businesses in a wide array of industries, including defense and intelligence services, education, healthcare, manufacturing, transportation, consulting and information technology involving the US Department of Defense (DOD), the various military branches and the full range of federal civilian agencies and departments.
US federal, state and local governments spend hundreds of billions of dollars every year acquiring technical and professional services and a myriad of products from public and private businesses. Given the nearly unlimited nature of these contracting opportunities, almost any company can obtain government contracts business. Regardless of their size, government contractors frequently require legal services from legal experts familiar with government contracts law. This is a vast discipline, and many government contractors are subject to pervasive regulations of the type associated with traditional regulated industries. We provide full life cycle support for businesses of all sizes to help them meet their compliance needs across the US government contracting landscape.
Why Choose Us
- We are pragmatic, responsive and holistic, with a presence in several locations where the US government has offices, facilities and bases – in the US and around the globe – and a significant presence in Washington DC.
- We have significant experience guiding companies on myriad US government contracting issues, including, but not limited to:
- Contract formation and administration – Advising on responses to requests for proposals or quotes and other solicitation documents, warranties, invoicing, contract cost principles and cost accounting standards.
- Bid and size protests and contract claims and disputes – Appearing before procuring agencies, the Government Accountability Office, federal district courts, the US Court of Federal Claims, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the SBA Office of Hearings and Appeals, in cases involving contract award controversies, including pre-award bid protests, post-award bid protests and size protests. Handling contract claims and disputes before the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals and the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Regulatory advice and compliance – Advising on compliance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and the Civilian and Defense Agency FAR Supplements.
- Subcontracts, joint ventures and other team arrangements – Drafting, negotiating and representing clients in commercial disputes relating to subcontracts, joint ventures and other team arrangements.
- Intellectual property protection – Guiding on rights and protections related to technical data, computer software deliverables and other intellectual property, including the procedures for electing to retain title to inventions, during performance of a government contract, cooperative research and development agreement or grant.
- Security clearances and Foreign Ownership, Control or Influence (FOCI) mitigation – Advising on the security clearance process with the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency, and negotiating any exclusionary agreements to mitigate FOCI.
- Labor and employment compliance – Providing workforce compliance requirements for federal government contracting. Visit the Government Contracts page in the Labor & Employment section for more information.
- Audits and procurement fraud investigations – Representing clients in connection with government audits and procurement fraud investigations conducted by various agency offices of the US Inspector General and the US Department of Justice.
- Suspension and debarment actions – Representing clients in connection with efforts by the federal government to suspend or disbar them from government contracting.
- White collar defense and investigations – Counseling clients subpoenaed by federal and state regulatory agencies, grand juries and the US Congress, including guidance on responding to document subpoenas and search and seizure warrants, as well as less formal requests for information by government investigators, such as interviews and requests to inspect facilities. Visit the Government Investigations & White Collar section for more information.
- Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) – Representing strategic acquirers and sellers, and private equity investors, in M&A involving companies performing services for and selling products to the federal government, from simple purchases of assets used in the performance of government contracts to more complex stock acquisitions, as well as employee stock ownership plans.
- Government procurement and contracting policy – Providing the policy expertise, agency knowledge and substantive understanding that are necessary to effectively navigate the federal government contracting landscape, by leveraging vast knowledge of national budgeting, budget authorization and appropriations. Visit the Maritime Law & Defense Security Policy section for more information.