Trainee Solicitor Programme
We offer a variety of apprentice and graduate opportunities so you can start your legal career with a leading global law firm where we have been providing quality legal services for more than a century and care about the success of our clients. By being your unique self, you will take the time to understand our clients’ needs and provide practical, bespoke advice – always with their best commercial interests in mind. Be commercial. Be empowered. Be connected. Be involved. Be One of Us.
We are immensely proud of our trainee solicitor programme and the number of individuals who have remained with the firm after qualifying and who, in many cases, are now our partners, including our training principal Giles Chesher. To apply now, please visit our application portal.
“As training principal, I am passionate about the quality of training and opportunities given to our trainees. I trained with the firm and have always been involved with our trainees in a number of different roles – as daily supervisor, supervising partner and now training principal. I can vouch for the investment that we make in our trainees’ development and progression, as demonstrated by the high proportion of partners who trained with the firm. It is my role as training principal to give trainees the opportunity to meet their full potential.”
From the very start of your Trainee Solicitor Programme, you will have the opportunity to work with the people who will help you shape your future. You can choose from our Birmingham, Leeds, London or Manchester offices and, with six seats on offer and a variety of practice areas available, you can effectively create your own individual training programme, empowering you to set the foundation for your career with us. Supervision is paramount to the success of our scheme and we have a two-tier system, with a partner supervisor in your department, as well as a daily supervisor.
You will be guaranteed first-rate work and a high level of involvement with our clients, working across our network of offices on complex and fast-moving international problems, transactions and disputes.
If you have language skills, there is the opportunity for a secondment to one of our overseas offices. Trainees to date have experienced seats in Brussels and Paris. Perhaps you are also interested in a client secondment – a great chance to build your own networks and experience a client’s business first hand. We have plenty of opportunities for you to experience life client-side. Our training contract gives you the tools and the platform to take you where you want to be as a person and as a professional. Making the most of it is up to you.
Our aim each year is to retain as many of our talented group of qualifying trainee solicitors in permanent legal roles within the firm as possible. The roles that we have available vary each year according to our business needs, and all of our trainees are encouraged to apply to the newly qualified vacancies in which they are interested.
Applications to Our Summer Vacation Scheme and Open Day Are Now Open
We make our offers for our Trainee Solicitor Programme entirely from our Summer Vacation Schemes and we do so two years in advance of start dates. To be eligible to apply, you must either be a penultimate/final-year law student, a final-year non-law student, or have already graduated from a law or non-law degree. This is so you are able to complete the required legal education prior to commencing your Trainee Solicitor Programme.
Applications for our 2023 Summer Vacation Schemes are now open. To make an application, please either visit our careers portal by clicking here, or follow the individual links below.
Please note that if one week in particular receives a majority response for applicant preference, we may not be able to accommodate everyone's first choice. We will provide as much notice as we can regarding your allocated week.
Applications will close on Friday 6 January 2023. We are not able to accept any further applications after this date.
To find out more about our offering, take a look at our Online Graduate Brochure to find all the information you need.
Tips on making a successful application:
- Take your time in drafting your application. It is important to check your spelling and grammar before you submit. There is no rush!
- For the long answer questions, it might be beneficial to write down your immediate thoughts for your answers to brainstorm and review at another time.
- We want to know about all your relevant skills, so please do not leave out any relevant work experience.
- Provide a logical structure for your answers and use the word counts provided as a guide for your submission.
- Make sure you are addressing the questions in their entirety – use your word count wisely to support your statements.
- Take the time to understand us before drafting your application. It would be prudent for you to determine your areas of legal interest, the types of clients we act for, alongside the initiatives we employ, to better understand why you are choosing our firm to apply to.
- Think about anything you have been involved with that would make you stand out – we are excited to get to know you, so make your application individual to your interests.
- During the digital assessment stage, take your time to understand the question before answering. You can use the practice slots to rehearse your recorded video answers, which you could also prepare in advance by answering some generic interview questions on camera by yourself.
- Make sure you are free from any distractions and that you are ready to engage with any application stages.
For more hints and tips, visit our Online Graduate Brochure.
We are welcoming successful applicants to our offices to learn more about our firm, our culture and our application processes. Each day will begin at noon and conclude at 5:30 p.m.
We have the following dates available:
- Wednesday 9 November – Manchester
- Wednesday 16 November – Leeds
- Wednesday 23 November – Birmingham
- Wednesday 30 November – London (Virtual)
We welcome applications from individuals from any degree discipline, year of study and work experience to date. We are keen to meet applicants who know about our business and our strategy, and are keen to learn more about what interests you have around a career in law.
We will provide talks and workshops around a variety of commercial and legal topics, including networking sessions and an application masterclass. You will meet key people in the business and engage in discussions around what a career at the firm looks like.
To apply for one of our open days please click on one of the below:
Applications close on Monday 10 October; please note you are able to submit an application for one open day only.
UK Apprenticeships Programmes
Our firm is a great place for you to take the first steps toward reaching your career aspirations. As an apprentice, you will receive dedicated support through our chosen training providers and invaluable on-the-job training from the start of your career with us. We are giving you the opportunity to join our expert teams to build your knowledge and skills.
We are currently recruiting for a number of Business Support Apprentice roles across our Leeds, London, Manchester and Birmingham offices. You can apply for our opportunities by clicking the below links:
- Leeds - Business Administrator
- Birmingham - Business Administrator
- London - Business Administrator
- Manchester - Business Administrator
- London - IT Support Apprentice
- Manchester - HR Apprentice
If you are interested in conducting some work experience in one of our UK office please click here to make an application.
For any questions or queries please email email@example.com