Our Esports & Gaming team comprises multistream specialists, including corporate, media, sports, immigration, intellectual property, employment and technology lawyers, who possess market-leading experience in the legal, commercial and regulatory issues affecting the esports and gaming sector. Our team’s expertise spans key markets in Asia Pacific, the US, Europe and the Middle East, and draws on our lawyers’ wealth of sector-specific client experience.
We anticipate and understand the impact of new commercial practices, regulations and technologies, and our unrivaled experience enables us to help clients develop and shape best practices that apply on a global basis. Our extensive international footprint in strategic locations allows our lawyers to provide not only in-depth advice on key local issues, but also advice that reflects the increasingly global nature of our clients’ businesses. We are equipped to fully support our clients in navigating complex multijurisdictional landscapes, which enables them to consolidate their position in existing territories and advance their interests in frontier markets.
We provide the full spectrum of legal support to publishers, developers, tournament organizers, esports organizations, sponsors, broadcasters, investors and other industry stakeholders in connection with their global operations across the industry, including on:
- Brand and reputation management
- Sponsorship and advertising
- Dispute resolution
- Exploitation of commercial rights, media rights and broadcasting
- Exploitation and protection of intellectual property and image rights
- Governance and regulatory issues
- M&A/investments and corporate structuring
- Hosting and staging of events (including the distribution of event-related rights)
- Development, planning, finance and construction of venues and facilities
- Player contracts and other issues, including transfers and safeguarding
Our Esports & Gaming team forms a core part of our Sports & Entertainment Group, which includes a core team with unrivaled sector-specific experience and additional resources across a broad spectrum of legal disciplines. Our lawyers are at the forefront of the development of the sports and entertainment sector across the EMEA, US and Asia Pacific regions.
In addition to being trusted advisers to a diverse range of clients, we are active in pro bono cases and thought leadership, appearing frequently as key contributors at local, regional and international conferences and seminars, in online, print, TV and radio media, and in the design and innovative provision of postgraduate education.
In addition to numerous ad hoc roles on disciplinary, governance and anti-corruption panels, we are especially proud to include within our ranks:
- Two Court of Arbitration for Sports arbitrators
- A FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber member
- A World Athletics Disciplinary Tribunal member
- An International Paralympic Committee Anti-Doping Panel member
- The vice-president of the Saudi Arabian Football Federation
- The president of the Qatar Sports Arbitration Tribunal
- The former general counsel of Yas Marina F1 Circuit
- An International Paralympic Committee Board of Appeal of Classification member
- A former legal counsel at the (English) Football Association
- A UEFA Pro-bono counsel member
We pride ourselves on our ability to utilize the vast sector experience in our team and our long-established local connections to best serve the individual needs of our clients, which include esports and gaming organizations, national and international governing bodies, National Olympic Committees, sports rights holders, broadcasters, investors, venue operators, sponsors, event management companies, athletes, agents and clubs. This enables us to provide the most strategic, tailored and innovative commercial legal solutions and strategies to further our clients’ aspirations.