International by nature, maritime law presents difficult, unique issues that must be met with creative and broadminded counsel. Our team of lawyers recognizes the need for solid representation in the diverse litigation matters facing transportation companies, ocean carriers, charterers, non-vessel operating common carriers, ocean terminals, transit systems, port authorities, and warehouses and their insurers. As the pre-eminent legal adviser in maritime related issues, our clients count on us to seamlessly integrate the required disciplines, locations, languages and cultures.
With deep expertise in all types of marine casualties from vessel sinkings and groundings to major ocean pollution, we have long been recognized as the go-to team for seasoned and rapid advice and action. Our response team is well-known for its quick actions and ability to achieve results under the most difficult conditions. In a similar vein, our team has years of experience in charter party, contract of affreightment and bills of lading disputes, commodity trading and other maritime contracts.
The scope of the practice is comprehensive. We advise on casualties and contracts involving cargoes such as crude and refined oil, petrochemicals, liquid natural gas (LNG) and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), ore, grain and break bulk cargo. We handle issues involving submarine cables and intermodal transportation and terminals. We regularly negotiate and review maritime and logistics contracts and are experienced in marine transport regulatory issues and government and maritime security. In cases involving maritime casualties or oil/chemical spills, we deal with casualty, pollution and salvage issues on behalf of ship owners, charterers, protection and indemnity insurers, and hull underwriters. We also consult and advise on financial issues, ranging from tax exempt financings for transportation facilities and vessel financing to maritime bankruptcies and workouts including lien resolution.
Through our multiple offices in key areas worldwide and our vast network of industry authorities, we are able to represent clients anywhere in the world in complex transportation, shipping and logistics matters on a single representation basis.
Why Choose Us
Because we understand your industry and locality, we tailor our advice to meet your situation and requirements. Our clients count on us to seamlessly integrate disciplines, locations, languages and cultures. You will benefit from our:
- Through our multiple offices (44 offices in 21 countries – including principal shipping markets) and vast network of industry authorities, we can represent clients anywhere in the world in complex matters on a single representation basis.
- With deep expertise in maritime casualties - from vessel sinkings and groundings to major ocean pollution - we have long been recognized as the go-to team for rapid advice and action, with a broader offering and greater international reach than any other firm.
- With this global footprint, we are able to represent clients anywhere in the world in complex matters on a single representation basis.
- With market-leading expertise and experience across a range of disciplines, our shipping group is a full-service, “cradle to grave” practice with years of experience in charterparty, contract of affreightment and bills of lading disputes, commodity trading, and other maritime contracts.
- This expertise extends to litigation in the High Court in England and Wales, US Supreme Court, federal appellate and district courts, and many arbitration bodies worldwide including, among others:
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS)
- London Maritime Arbitrators' Association (LMAA)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA )
- Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration (SCMA)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Society of Maritime Arbitrators (SMA)
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- Commodity associations such as NAEGA, GAFTA and FOSFA
- Other ad hoc arbitrations and mediations.
We provide the level of service expected from a firm that has won the client satisfaction award from Legal Week in four of the last five years.